Driving Tips on Kangaroo Island
Prepare for the trip to Kangaroo Island but most of all, prepare yourself! If you are taking your own car or hiring a car on the island these are the things you should consider:
Have a route plan
When planning the route, consider:
- Type and condition of the road (Hire cars may have restrictions),
- Volume of traffic to expect,
- Locations of towns, rest areas and other services on the Island,
- Are there any bridge and / or creek crossings,
- Scenery and places of interests,
- Speed Limits (100km/h in SA unless signs indicate otherwise).
Prepare the car
This will vary depending on if you are taking your own car or hiring, however, consider carrying the following items:
- First aid kit,
- Torch and spare batteries,
- Jumper leads, tow rope and tyre pump,
- Check your spare tyre.
It is important to check fuel, oil, water and tyres beforehand to avoid having any issues with the car. Make sure your tyres; including the spare, have the proper inflation pressure and that there is plenty of tread.
If you are towing a caravan or trailer pay attention to the condition of the tyres. Tyres that have only been used once or twice a year can become brittle and are prone to blowouts / punctures. Check the tread and the sidewalls to ensure they are in good condition.
Looking to book a trip to Kangaroo Island for you and your car? Take a look at SeaLink's self-drive packages.